What we offer
High-impact polystyrene (HIPS) is a rubbermodified polystyrene that is significantly
harder and more impact-resistant than general purpose polystyrene.
Ampa Plastics also manufactures a modified form of HIPS known as ESCR/HIPS, or environmental stress crack resistant HIPS.
ESCR/ HIPS is less susceptible to environmental stress cracking than HIPS. ESCR/HIPS is extensively used in the refrigeration industry.
Key features of High Impact Polystyrene
- - Relatively low-cost
- - Impact-resistant, hard and dimensionally stable (between 10ºC and 30ºC working temperature range)
- - Medium- or high-gloss finish
- - Easily machined and thermoformed
- - Good electrical insulator
- - Does not absorb much moisture
- - Can be painted, bonded and/or glued
- - Not UV resistant (will yellow if exposed to UV light or other weathering factors)
- - Odourless and tasteless, making it suitable for use with food
- - Easily recyclable
Applications of High Impact Polystyrene
- - Appliances (ESCR/HIPS is extensively used in the refrigeration industry)
- - Packaging (food, electrical equipment)
- - Indoor signage and advertising
- - Machining of prototypes
- - Thermoforming